Real Name: Christopher Milton Dansby
Location: Manhattan, New York
Date: May 18, 1989
Date of Birth: March 30, 1987
Weight: 30 lbs.
Marital Status: Minor
Characteristics: African-American male with black hair and brown eyes. He has a birthmark shaped like a figure eight on his back and a burn scar on his thigh.
Details: On May 18, 1989, two-year-old Christopher Dansby went with his mother, Allison, to the Martin Luther King Jr. Towers playground at 113th Street and Lenox Avenue in Harlem, Manhattan, New York. At one point, Allison decided to go to the store to buy food. Since she did not have his stroller with her, she decided to leave him with several relatives at the park. When she returned a half hour later, he was gone. The relatives said that they last saw him playing with a red ball; strangely, he had not brought one to the park that day. A seven-year-old boy from his neighborhood to police that he saw him walking on west 111th Street later that day. He was accompanied by an unknown African-American male. After that sighting, he was never seen again.
Three months later on August 10, 1989, one-year-old Shane Walker vanished from the same area of the Martin Luther King Jr. Towers playground. There were many similarities between both cases: both were African-American toddlers that lived in the same apartment building; both disappeared on the same day of the week (Thursday) in the late afternoon/early evening; and both played with the same two children shortly before their disappearances. Despite the similarities, police are not certain if both cases are related.
Suspects: Christopher was last seen walking with an unidentified African-American male. He was between twenty-five and thirty years old, six feet tall and thin, with dreadlocked hair.
There was some speculation that Christopher's disappearance was related to Allison's drug habit. It was alleged that she either sold him for drugs or he was taken due to a drug debt. Although she admits that she used to use cocaine, she denied that she owed anyone money or that her drug use was related to his disappearance.
- This case was first released on October 19, 2020 as a part of the second volume of the Netflix reboot of Unsolved Mysteries.
- This case was also previously profiled on America’s Most Wanted.
- Christopher and Shane on Unsolved.com
- Christopher Dansby on The Charley Project
- Christopher Dansby on the NCMEC website
- Christopher Dansby on the AMW website
- Search For Missing Children Expands Nationwide - August 16, 1989
- Detectives discover 6 similarities in disappearances of 2 toddlers - August 16, 1989
- Officials Say Bureaucratic Snag Kept Suspect in Boy's Kidnapping on Streets - October 26, 1989
- Cold case: Toddlers vanish from park - November 30, 2009
- Mother Holds Out Hope For Baby Kidnapped 24 Years Ago - May 29, 2013
- Two mothers forever linked by their toddlers' kidnappings - February 18, 2014
- AMWFans Discussion forum
- Websleuths Discussion Forum