Real Name: Elizabeth Bateman Greenberg
Location: Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Date: July 5, 1988
Details: On July 5, 1988, thirty-four-year-old Annapolis resident Elizabeth Greenberg was found floating in the Chesapeake Bay near Bembe Beach. She had been raped, beaten and drowned. Her body was partially clothed. She had last been seen the night before at an Eastport bar. Police believe that her murder may be connected to the suspicious death of Nancy Manni, who was also found floating in the bay in August of 1993. Both women had the same hair color, eye color, height and weight. Both were ship stewards and members of the Seafairer's Union. They both also worked the same trade route and were attending the same school when they died.
Suspects: Police believe that it is possible that Elizabeth and Nancy were both murdered by the same person. They also believe that she was killed by someone she met at the bar. A man who "spooked" Elizabeth at a bar on the night she was last seen alive is also considered a suspect. He is described as a 6'2" white male in his late thirties or early forties (in 1988), with graying hair and blue eyes.
Extra Notes: The case was featured as a part of the February 2, 1996 episode.
Results: Unsolved. Nancy's killer was later identified as John David O'Meara; investigators no longer believe that the two cases are connected. An anonymous letter mailed to the police linked an unnamed man to Elizabeth's murder and the unsolved 1989 murder of a woman named Garnet Griffith. The man worked at the bar where Elizabeth was last seen and also worked near Garnet's home. However, he has not been charged in either case.
- Annapolis woman struck, drowns - July 8, 1988
- Drowned woman identified - July 8, 1988
- Police suspect sexual assault in killing - July 12, 1988
- After homicide, fear is part of bar scene (Page 1) (Page 2) - July 30, 1988
- Police hope autopsy leads them to killer - September 21, 1988
- Semen tests try to link killer - September 23, 1988
- 1988 killings of 2 women still unsolved - January 3, 1989
- 3 Edgewood murders unrelated, police say - January 15, 1989
- 2 years later, murder is still unsolved - July 5, 1990
- Composite raises hope for solution of 1988 murder - April 25, 1992
- Police hope lead will help solve 1988 murder case - July 4, 1994
- New lab tests may nab slayer (Page 1) (Page 2) - July 2, 1995
- To this investigator, detail is key - December 26, 1995
- Independence Day weekend marks the ninth year of the unsolved homicide of Elizabeth Greenberg - July 3, 1997
- Investigator Seeks Clues in 20 Year Murder Case - December 9, 2012