Real Name: George I. Mott
Case: Unexplained Death
Location: Crown Point, New York
Date: March 26, 1986
Details: George Mott was a retired fireman that suffered from lung problems and required an air mask and pump to breathe. On March 26, 1986, his son, Kendal, visited him after he had not answered repeated phone calls. Kendal found all the windows browned and the interior smoked. Inside his bedroom, he found what was left of George. His remains consisted of ash, a few splinters of bone, and a fragment of his skull. The very localized damage suggested that he had died from spontaneous combustion - a situation that has yet to be explained. The damage to his body was similar to that of what is done to a crematorium.
The searing heat had melted a television in the room. However, much of the bedding was unscathed. Just a few feet from the bed, a box of wooden matches failed to ignite. Air was still pumping from George's air mask. Despite this, skeptics believe that there is a rational explanation for his death.
Joe Nickell noted that George was a former drinker and smoker. He believes that he was depressed and decided to smoke a cigar or cigarette. If he dropped it on himself, it could have caused him to accidentally set himself on fire.
Extra Notes: This case first aired as part of a segment on "spontaneous human combustion" on the March 14, 1997 episode along with those of Kay Fletcher and Irving Bentley.
- George Mott on Unsolved.com
- "Death Investigation is a National Disgrace"
- Not-so-spontaneous human combustion
- How to explain spontaneous human combustion
- Can Humans Spontaneously Combust? 'Unexplained Files' Investigates
- George Mott on Find a Grave