Real Name: LaVena Lynn Johnson
Nicknames: No known nicknames
Location: Balad, Iraq
Date: July 19, 2005
Details: Nineteen-year-old PFC LaVena Johnson had been in Iraq for about six weeks when she was found shot to death on July 19, 2005. The Army ruled her death a suicide. Army investigators said that she had shot herself through the mouth with an M-16. However, several discrepancies were soon brought forth. The apparent trajectory of the bullet did not match what one would expect from that type of gun. The one that killed her was never found. One of the first responders claimed that a gun was not even found at the scene. The two witnesses who found her body reported hearing explosions coming from her tent. When they went inside it, they two fires next to her body.
The autopsy report showed that LaVena had been tortured and possibly sexually assaulted prior to her death. Photographs of her body indicated that she had a broken nose and split lip, scratches and bruises on her arms, and burns on her right leg and hand. There were also serious injuries, including burns, to her genitals. Her family is convinced that she was murdered and that her death was a cover-up by the army.
Suspects: None known
Extra Notes: This case was uploaded to the Unsolved Mysteries website on September 26, 2014. The person interviewed in the video is LaVena's father, Dr. John Johnson.
- LaVena Johnson web site
- LeVena Johnson on Unsolved.com
- Justice for LaVena Johnson Facebook Page
- LaVena Johnson on Wikipedia
- Fallen soldier was first Missouri female to die in Iraq
- Was female Missouri soldier murdered in Iraq? (Page 1) (Page 2)
- Soldier's father believes she was murdered
- Documents and photos suggest foul play in death of Private Johnson
- A death with two stories evident
- LaVena Johnson: Army Still Calls Grisly Rape and Murder "Suicide"
- 10 years later, a soldier's family still grieves and questions the Army's version of her death
- Questions Linger More Than a Decade After Private LaVena Johnson's Death
- Reddit Discussion of LaVena Johnson
- LaVena Johnson on Find a Grave