Case File: Loch Ness Monster
Location: Inverness, Scotland
Date: 1933 to present
Description: Loch Ness is one of several deep glacier lakes ("lochs") cut during the last Ice Age across the width of Scotland.
History: Since 1933, people have seen a strange creature in the Loch Ness in Scotland. It is a cryptid and lake monster known as the "Loch Ness Monster" or simply "Nessie". It has been photographed and videotaped several times; however, on several occasions, the "evidence" turns out to be a hoax. Despite this, hundreds of people have sighted the creature throughout the years, leaving many to believe that Nessie does exist.
Background: Some reports claimed that Nessie has been seen since 565 A.D.
Investigations: Many expeditions have take place throughout the past eighty years in order to find the creature and determine what it actually is. The most famous photograph of the monster, the Surgeon's Photograph, was taken in 1934; it was later proven in 1975 to have been faked.
Extra Notes: This case has not been featured on Unsolved Mysteries, but has been mentioned in several cases including Ogopogo, Champ, and Caddy.
- Loch Ness Monster on Wikipedia
- Loch Ness monster on Britannica
- The Loch Ness Monster - 100 Photos
- Loch Ness "Monster" sighted for first time, igniting modern legend
- How scientists debunked the Loch Ness Monster
- Scientists, using DNA, will try again to find the Loch Ness monster
- Is the Loch Ness Monster real? Nessie photos, sightings, theories and myths