Real Name: Lulu
Case: Animal Heroes
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Date: August 4, 1998
Details: On August 4, 1998, Jo Ann Altsman was relaxing on the shore of Lake Erie while her husband was fishing. Suddenly, she felt a pain in her chest and her left arm went numb; she realized that she was having a heart attack. Nobody heard her screams, except for Lulu, her pot-bellied pig. Minutes later, a man found her, called 911, and she was saved just in time. She was shocked when she learned how he found her.
Lulu had sensed danger when Jo was having the heart attack, and squeezed through the doggy door to get help. She then went and busted the gate open. She then went to the campground's main road, sat down, and went back a few times to check on Jo. Then, the man stopped his car and followed her to Jo. She believes the reason that Lulu saved her was because she loved her. Also, at the end of the segment, she asked for the unknown man who followed Lulu and called 911 to come forward so he could receive a reward.
Extra Notes: This case first aired on the June 4, 1999 episode about animal saviors that also involved a dog named Norman. It was also featured on It's a Miracle and Urban Legends.
Results: Unsolved. Sadly, Lulu died of a heart attack in 2003 and Jo passed away in 2013.
- Porker helps save woman’s life
- Pig out-Lassies pooch in rescue attempt
- Pet pig outshines Lassie, triggers rescue of owner
- Pot-bellied pig saves owner's life by lying in front of a car
- Pot-bellied pig to the rescue! LuLu a cut above Lassie
- News of the Weird - News from the Animal World
- Lulu the heroic pig now known worldwide
- That'll do Lulu, that'll do
- Heroic Animals
- Jo Ann Altsman Obituary