Real Name: Michael Paul Henley, Jr.
Nicknames: No known nicknames
Location: Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Date: April 21, 1988
Date of Birth: circa 1979
Weight: 60 pounds
Marital Status: Single
Characteristics: Blond hair, brown eyes. Raspberry birth mark on his right eyelid.
Details: Nine-year-old Michael Henley, Jr. had gone on a camping trip with his father and a family friend on April 21, 1988, in the Zuni Mountains. Just twenty minutes after they arrived, he mysteriously vanished. Michael's father believed that he wandered away from camp. However, a search of the area found no trace of him. A snowstorm hit the area shortly after his disappearance, which made the search difficult.
Then, on June 15, 1989, a woman in Port Saint Joe, Florida, noticed a white van next to her car as she went to a store. When she returned, a photo laid where the van was, which depicted a young boy and girl bound and gagged. The Henleys believed the boy was Michael, and the family of a missing nineteen-year-old girl named Tara Calico recognized the girl as her. The two had vanished just seventy-five miles from each other.
Factory analysis determined that the photograph was recently taken. The FBI has not been able to determine if the children in the picture are Tara and Michael. However, a forensic artist compared pictures of the missing children to the photograph and was 85% sure that they were the ones depicted.
Suspects: It is believed that Tara and Michael may have been abducted by the same person, the driver of the van. It is a white cargo van with no windows and a sliding door on the side.
Extra Notes: This case first aired on the September 20, 1989 episode.
Results: Solved. In June of 1990, Michael's remains were found just a few miles from the campsite that he had vanished from. His remains were identified through dental records. The cause of death was believed to be hypothermia. Foul play was ruled out. His disappearance and death is no longer believed to be related to that of Tara Calico; she, however, remains missing. Also, the boy in the photo has never been identified.
- Searchers flown to find missing boy
- Milan Boy Still Missing in Zunis
- Lost 9-year-old still remembered
- Mystery photo launches probe
- Photo may be that of missing youths
- Photo may be clue to missing youths
- Parents send police information on daughter
- Seeking help in New Mexico kidnappings
- Skeletal remains discovered
- Skeletal remains may be those of missing boy
- Remains may be those of missing nine-year-old
- Boy's Identity Confirmed
- TV Show to Feature 1988 Disappearance
- New Letters Stir 20-Year-Old Unsolved Mystery of Apparent Child Abduction Photos