Real Name: Shannon Smith
Wanted For: Child Molestation, Rape
Missing Since: April 1994
Case[edit | edit source]
Details: Twenty-one-year-old Shannon "Bear" Smith is wanted for the rape and molestation of several teenage girls, which took place between 1991 and 1993. Smith was an EMT who specifically targeted girls with emotional problems. Tragically, four of his victims attempted to commit suicide.
Disturbingly, investigators discovered that Smith kept a diary in which he wrote about his crimes. He also told people that seducing young girls was his "hobby". He was sentenced to six years of probation in relation to the rapes. However, he later violated his probation by engaging in repeated unsupervised contact with two young girls. In April of 1994, before the charges could be heard in court, Smith disappeared and has not been seen since.
Extra Notes: The case was featured as a part of a "Fugitive Hotline" segment on the January 13, 1995 episode. Also featured was Tyrom Theis.
Results: Captured. Viewers' tips led the FBI to Mesa, Arizona, where Smith was arrested on February 7, 1995. He was living there under the name "Glenn Jones" and was working as a dishwasher. He waived extradition and was brought back to Colorado. He pleaded guilty to violating his probation and was sentenced to six years in prison.
- Slow legal system offers little solace for family fearing freed sex offender
- Rapist denies violating terms of probation
- Justice system at work (editorial)
- Rapist fails to show for hearing on probation
- Rapist may have fled to Virginia, DA says
- 'Unsolved Mysteries' features missing rapist
- 'Bear' tracks lead to arrest of rapist Smith in Mesa, Ariz.
- Rapist fights extradition to Colorado
- Rapist guilty of violating his probation, faces 64 years
- Glenwood rapist given 6-year term
- Three who server justice