Real Name: Thomas Robert Geers
Aliases: No Known Aliases
Wanted For: Drug Trafficking, Escape
Missing Since: May 23, 1985
Details: During the 1980s, Thomas Geers and his partner Joseph Valverde III trafficked cocaine, Quaaludes, and marijuana. They often flew the drugs into Florida on Valverde's plane, using a hidden airstrip on a farm that Valverde owned. As a result, the two lived a lavish lifestyle. However, on December 28, 1984, they were arrested as they allegedly transferred 3,000 pounds of marijuana worth $1.7 million from Valverde's plane to Geers' motor home. On May 23, 1985, they walked out of a Florida jail and vanished. In 1986, Valverde was arrested in Arkansas; he pleaded guilty to the charges against him and was sentenced to fifty-seven years in prison. Geers, however, has not been seen since the escape.
Extra Notes: The case was featured in a FBI alert in the September 19, 1990 episode, along with Mike Cline, Raymond Scoville, and Michael Lassen.
Results: Captured. In November 1991, Geers was arrested at a phone booth in Juneau, Alaska. In 1994, he was convicted of trafficking charges and sentenced to twenty-five years in federal prison. After serving twenty-two years in federal prison, he was transferred to Florida to complete a twenty-year sentence there. In December 2017, he was released from prison.
Valverde was released in 2005.
- Accused drug smuggler escapes from small-town jail
- Smuggling Suspects Escape Jail
- Drug Suspect's Trial To Go On Without Him
- Pinellas drug smuggler pleads guilty
- Guilty Plea Stops Pair's Drug Trial
- Drug fugitive arrested in Alaska
- Fugitive is on trial years after escape
- The Former Miami Weed Transporter Who's Helping Drug War Inmates Get Out of Prison
- Joseph Valverde on Mugshots.com
- Thomas Geers on Florida Inmate Search